Wednesday, October 15, 2008

They Continued


Meditate: Acts 2:46

Another “evil twin” (I know there are more than two) to this notion of being saved from Hell is that it doesn’t push me to “continue.”

“Hey, I’m in. I’m saved. What’s the big deal?”

But there’s something huge missing in this attitude: If I’m going around with this “I got my ticket so I don’t have to take any of this seriously” attitude, then do I really have my ticket?

Don’t misunderstand me. I’m not saying that God’s sitting up there in heaven watching especially close to see if I’m giving Him any excuse to bounce me out of the family.

But God’s book, the Bible, makes it plain that sin is absolutely repugnant to Him. So if I’m really in God’s family, if I’m really looking at Him and saying “Lord” then I’ll be a willing participant in His Spirit’s work in me to live the way God has in mind.

Christians used to say that doing this meant that “more and more, I’ll sin less and less.” That takes some continuing.

It’s also about really following Jesus. Jesus made it plain that nothing was more important to Him than doing His Father’s will. So being a true Jesus follower means trying to live in a way that pleases God. That’s going to mean serious, everyday, close following. The “continued” kind of following.

It means I’ll establish patterns, set boundaries, adopt habits, build relationships, and engage in accountability in the way that helps me most in serving God and my world.

“They continued…” So must I.

In my patterns, boundaries, habits, relationships, and accountability, what’s hurting and what helps?

More and more am I sinning less and less?

Pray:
Praise the Lord; with my whole heart, I will praise Your holy name. Praise the Lord; I’ll never forget the good things You do for me. You forgive all my sins and heal all my diseases. You ransom me from death and surround me with love and tender mercies. You fill my life with good things. The Lord is merciful and gracious; You are slow to get angry and full of unfailing love. You do not deal with me as I deserve.

Digging Deeper: Proverbs 15

Posted by email from Ferndale Tonight (posterous)

No comments: