Saturday, October 18, 2008

Mealtime


Meditate: Acts 2:46

Always remember that this all grew out of their relationship with Jesus.

It was Jesus that brought the original disciples together in the first place. Others came in response to the Truth about Jesus. In a way, He’s the host every time they get together. “The unseen guest at every meal” they used to say. In an atmosphere focused on Jesus, He was enough to bring them together.

Whether this is a reference to taking the Lord’s Supper or not (yup, there’s a debate), at least for the first few months it’s hard to imagine sitting there with these brothers and sisters and looking around the table and not thinking about it - that “Last Supper” where Jesus transformed the significance of broken bread and passing the cup. (Keep in mind, He said they were to remember Him every time they did this.)

I can’t imagine not recalling the many ways He announced that night that He was the Promised One, the fulfillment of all that the Jewish people had been waiting for. And wistfully recalling that He promised He would be coming back.

  • Is Jesus enough to bring me together in fellowship with other Christians?
  • How can I remember Jesus in my fellowship?
  • How can I show that I expect Jesus to return?

Pray:
Praise: You alone are God; You alone are the Lord. You alone are worthy of glory and honor and power forever.
Confess: It’s hard for me to connect the Lord’s Supper with a real meal with Jesus as host. Or to see Jesus present in my fellowship.
Thank: Whenever two or three gather in His name, Jesus is there.
Ask: Make me aware of Your presence in my fellowship, in my worship, and in my life. Fill me with expectancy at the thought of Your promises.
Digging Deeper: I Thessalonians 4 - 5

Posted by email from Ferndale Tonight (posterous)

No comments: