Friday, October 24, 2008

Actions Speak


Meditate: Acts 2:47

Jesus tells us that God knows about our need for food, water, shelter, clothing and so forth. He points out that birds and flowers seem to be doing all right and that the same God who looks after them, is looking after us so we should just lighten up about that stuff and focus on God’s Kingdom instead of this world.

David says, “I was young and now I’m old, yet I’ve never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread.”

Now, I’m not as young as I once was either and I know as I write this that some of y’all are already twitching with those “God help’s those who help themselves” thoughts. (It’s like there’s a button that’s pressed every time someone starts talking about trusting God.)

What’s that got to do with “praising God?” Well, we can go down through history looking at nations, individuals, families, tribes, all levels across the board.

And we’ll find history littered with the wreckage of those who thought God needed their help.

Or thought they had a better idea.

And we’ll just as consistently find that those who truly praised God, trusting Him and obeying Him (is there any higher praise?) have been kept and provided for.

See, “God helps those who help themselves” isn’t in the Bible, not even as a general principle. But “Sanctify yourselves-tomorrow the Lord will do great things among you” is. “I’ve never seen the righteous forsaken” is.

“Helping” ourselves distracts us - it makes us compromise - but seeking God’s kingdom enables us to stand before kings and say, “We do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king. But even if he does not, we want you to know, O King, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up.”

Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, praise God for what He’s doing right now, and don’t get wound up about what may or may not happen.

God, our God, the one worthy to receive all praise, glory, and honor, has it covered.

  • How do my actions praise God?
  • Am I trusting and obeying or am I “helping?”

Pray:
Praise: You are my Light and my Salvation. No other God can save.
Confess: I have trusted in my own hands more than Your love.
Thank: You will never leave me or forsake me.
Ask: I believe in You, help my unbelief. Fix my mind on You.

Digging Deeper: Psalm 107

Posted by email from Ferndale Tonight (posterous)

No comments: