Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Saved From...?


Meditate: Acts 2:46

And it’s not a “once in a lifetime kind of thing” either. Like we talked about yesterday, what country I was in on my birthday is no help.

But it’s also not a “once in a lifetime” thing if all I’m relying on is a once in a lifetime day when I raised my hand, or signed a card, or repeated after someone who said “Repeat after me…”

It can even be a day when I would say that “I became a Christian.” That one day can be absolutely crucial but the idea that I could have one day that doesn’t change my “every day” is offensive to genuine Jesus followers.

See, we’ve fallen into the trap of emphasizing “being saved.” But saved from what? If I think I’m being saved from “Hell” then once in a lifetime seems plenty. I just need to get my ticket punched so I don’t end up in the “bad place.”

But Hell isn’t really my problem. Not yet anyway. In my current state being saved from Hell is as useful to me as being preserved from the decay that comes naturally to a dead body.

The problem isn’t really decay-it’s death. Death will put me in the position where decay is inevitable. Solve death and decay isn’t an issue.

So to emphasize, our problem isn’t Hell, it’s sin. Sin puts me in the position where I end up in Hell. Take away my sin and Hell isn’t an issue. In fact, save me from sin and the Bible says that Death, Hell, and the Grave all lose their power. I’ll take that over just being saved from Hell.

And that’s why “every day” is so important. Because sin is an every day issue, being truly saved will result in an every day, continuing relationship with God. My every day will be changed.

  • Am I saved?
  • What am I saved from?

Pray:
Praise: You are the Lord, the Holy One, the King of the Universe.
Confess: My sins haunt me day and night. Against you, and you alone, have I sinned; I have done what is evil in your sight. You will be proved right in what you say, and your judgment against me is just. 
Ask: Create in me a clean heart, O God. Renew a right spirit within me.

Digging Deeper: Psalm 51

Posted by email from Ferndale Tonight (posterous)

No comments: