Monday, October 13, 2008

Every Day


Meditate: Acts 2:46

Growing up in small Midwestern towns, in a time and place where the culture expected “good people” to attend church services, it was common to hear folks differentiate between “church goers” and “real Christians”…

Maybe you’ve heard the term “Sunday Christian?” It means someone who goes to church but who doesn’t seem to be living any differently from those who don’t attend church.

What about “carnal Christian?” Ever heard someone called that? That refers to someone who claims (claimed) to be a Christian but, as far as how they live, doesn’t even pretend anymore.

There’s also what’s called a “cultural Christian.” These are the folks who check the “Christian” box on the survey form but couldn’t tell you what it means in their lives. I once met a guy in Britain who said, “Of course I’m a Christian-I’m English!” He could have just as easily been American. Bet you didn’t know that you’ll need your passport on Judgment Day.

Do I really need to say it? Being a Jesus follower-being a Christian-is an every day thing. It’s not a “Christmas and Easter” thing. It’s not an “every now and then” thing. It’s not a “Sunday thing.”

“Every day they continued…”

So must I.

  • Am I a Christian “every day?”
  • What would it take to make me an “every day” Christian?

Pray:
Praise: My soul proclaims the Lord’s greatness; my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.
Confess: The Almighty has done great things for me: Holy is His Name.
Thank: He has mercy on those who fear Him in every generation.
Ask: Teach me, Lord, how to serve you every day.

Digging Deeper: Psalm 139

Posted by email from Ferndale Tonight (posterous)

No comments: