Thursday, October 9, 2008

Help or Hindrance?


Meditate: Acts 2:45

But that’s not the testimony part. The testimony part is that, though we don’t have a whopping bank account, God has been faithful. He’s taken care of us and more than made up for anything He’s ever asked us to let go of. Over the long haul, giving (tithing included) has never meant needing.

Paul writes, “My God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.” That’s a Bible promise. That’s the Word of God.

And that means that a huge part of giving is trusting. Trusting God to keep His Word and meet our needs. Just in case you’re wondering, that’s not a promise of riches but it is a promise to thrive.

Now think about this. There you are in this earliest Church and what you see around you is that God is meeting needs. So when you get the chance to give, are you going to hold out or are you going to be obedient? Will you trust God or will you trust your wallet? The answer (to me, at least) is that of course you trust God.

Why not? All around you is proof that God will do what He says. After all, I can see that if I should ever end up in need, I’ll be taken care of.

So here’s God’s challenge to us: To participate in an upward spiral of trust and blessing that spreads across the Church. As we trust God and give, He is faithful and supplies our needs. The only thing that breaks this cycle is a lack of trust; fear that God won’t meet our needs.

  • Am I part of this cycle or part of breaking it?

Pray:
Praise: You are Faithful and True; in all of creation there is none like You.
Confess: I waver between fear and trust, trying to rely on myself.
Thank: You continue to pour out Your grace and overcome my fear.
Ask: Help me to rely totally on You, to know that You never fail.

Digging Deeper: Philippians 4

Posted by email from Ferndale Tonight (posterous)

No comments: