Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Finding “Together”


Meditate: Acts 2:44

This kind of runs counter to our way of thinking… Culturally, we’d just assume that responsible members of an orchestra would show up having properly tuned their instrument on their own - especially before they appeared on stage. If we found ourselves in the daily life equivalent of this kind of pre-concert chaos, we’d cast accusing glances around the room saying, “If we each just get our act together and do our part harmony will happen.” Instead, the orchestra comes together and listens to their leaders and to one another. Hmmm…

Together, they test and together they adjust. They know that regardless of individual preparation, true harmony only happens when they come together and work together like this. Patiently, they test and adjust and test until together they find harmony.

And when they’ve seen this through, the orchestra is truly in tune. No one gets to sit there scowling, congratulating themselves on their perfect pitch while playing sour notes and thinking how much more insightful and sensitive, how much more musical they are than all the others…

No one plays off-key, saying to themselves, “If I just keep on maybe others will see my example and start to play things the right way, my way…” The horn section doesn’t gather in a corner and say, “They don’t really understand how it is for people like us so we just need to find our own harmony…”

So why do we bring attitudes like that to Church and wonder why we’re not together like this early Church?

  • Which of my attitudes bring the Church together?
  • Which of my attitudes drives the Church apart?
  • How can I move issues from the 2nd list to the 1st?

Pray:
Praise: You are God. Nothing is hidden from You.

Confess: I judge others more strictly than I judge myself.

Thank: Your Word and Your Spirit continue to show me Your ways.

Ask: Purify my heart. Take from the things that displease You.

Digging Deeper: Colossians 3

Posted by email from Ferndale Tonight (posterous)

No comments: