Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Called Together


Meditate: Acts 2:44

The fact that we call ourselves Christians isn’t enough to gather us together.

There was a move through most of the last century that asked churches to disregard their unique beliefs and practices and just “unite in the name of Christ.” This resulted in something that’s fondly referred to as “empty ecumenism.”

Now the ideal of ecumenism is Biblical - it refers to the unity of the Church throughout the world - but this ecumenism is “empty” for a couple of reasons. Most obviously, because by the time you eliminate everything that might offend anyone, you’re not going to have much left.

But that’s not the real reason for the emptiness. Biblical unity in the Church results from our mutual submission to God, our salvation in Christ, and the Spirit dwelling in our midst.

The Ecumenical Movement wanted to unite any organization that fancied itself “Christian.” Names have their place but we all know that they don’t necessarily prove that there’s a relationship. I don’t declare it a family reunion every time I meet someone with my surname. I might take a moment to see if there’s any chance we’re related but I’ve learned that there’s more to kinship than a label.

That’s the role the Holy Spirit plays among believers. We may assert that we’re submitted to God and we may console ourselves that we’re “saved.” But what allows you to meet someone and consider them a “brother” or “sister” in less than 30 seconds?

It’s the presence of the Holy Spirit in both your lives. That’s the only basis for true “ecumenism” and that’s what brought these first believers together.

When we, as individual Christians and as congregations, seek the Spirit’s presence and allow Him to work in us, we will also come together.

  • Do my “brothers and sisters” sense the Spirit in me?

Pray:
Praise: You are Truth; there is nothing empty, hollow or false in You.
Confess: I prefer to unite on my own terms rather than trust Yours.
Thank: You give Your Spirit to those who ask!
Ask: Fill me with Your Spirit as I welcome You in my life.

Digging Deeper: I John 4:1-5:21

Posted by email from Ferndale Tonight (posterous)

No comments: