Friday, September 26, 2008

Everything


Meditate: Acts 2:44

See, a lot of our hesitation here comes with understanding just what having everything in common involves.

First of all, it means we recognize that we are, in fact, God’s gift to one another. (Did you ever think someone would describe you as “God’s gift” with a straight face?) God in His grace, love, and wisdom has brought us together as His Church in this place.

Another way to think of it is that the All-Wise, All-Knowing God hand-picked this team. If we give Him credit that He really knows what He’s doing (and you know He does), then we have to trust that everything this crew needs right now to follow where God is leading us is mystically, wonderfully right around here somewhere. These needs may develop over time; people and resources and plans may change; but I’m pretty sure our best course is to offer up all that we have and are to God, knowing that ultimately our success is in His hands anyway.

Second, because what God thinks we need right now is here already, we can leave behind the idea that we’re impoverished and Father isn’t paying attention. My wife doesn’t stand there on payday asking, “Where’s the rest of it?” She makes me aware of the household’s needs but she trusts that I’m pouring my full resources into the family. We need to trust that God’s doing the same for His family.

  • What’s my place on this team that God’s assembled?

Pray:
Praise: You know the end from the beginning. Your plan will never fail.
Confess: Even though You’ve welcomed me in Your family, I’ve tried to live on my own.
Thank: You have given gifts, talents and special abilities, to enable me for my place in Your family.
Ask: Show me my place. Teach me my gifts. Fill me with that sense of belonging, of confidence, that belongs to any true member of a family.

Digging Deeper: Isaiah 46

Posted by email from Ferndale Tonight (posterous)

No comments: