Thursday, April 1, 2010

Just Ask

I talk to folks all the time who admit they’re not hostile to God but they do feel separated from Him.  What does God say to people like that?  Does He cross His arms and shake His head and “hmmph” at them in an “I’ll show you” way?  Apparently not… 

This is what the Lord says, he who made the earth, the Lord who formed it and established it—the Lord is his name:
'Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.'
Jeremiah 33:3

We – all of us – spend time feeling isolated and alone, far from God.  But God makes it clear that we don’t have to accept that. 


Therefore tell the people: This is what the Lord Almighty says:
'Return to me,' declares the Lord Almighty, 'and I will return to you,' says the Lord Almighty.
Zechariah 1:3

There’s even the urge to feel that this is something unique, something beyond someone like you or me…  Again, that’s not how God sees it.  We hear that He wants us to “have faith”  but that doesn’t seem to make things clearer or does it?  Maybe the problem isn’t with the advice.  Maybe the problem is what we think we’re supposed to do with it.


The righteousness that is by faith says: "Do not say in your heart, 'Who will go up into heaven?'" (that is, to bring Christ down) "or 'Who will descend into the deep?'" (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead).
But what does it say? "The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart," that is,
the word of faith we are proclaiming:
That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord,"
and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified,
and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.
As the Scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame."
Romans 10:6-11

Turn to Jesus.  Don’t sweat a lot of intellectual stuff.  Go with your heart and see where it leads. 
Know that as we’re celebrating this Sunday, God has raised Jesus from the dead
So just turn to Him. 
Say in all simplicity, “Lord Jesus.” 
Say, “Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me, a sinner.”
Wait for Him. 
Determine to follow where your heart leads from there. 
Speak to God in prayer.  Again, don’t sweat details.  Say, “God, teach me to speak with you.” and wait.
Get your hands on a Bible and ask God to speak to you as you read.


Risen Lord Jesus Christ, I call to you.
Risen Lord Jesus Christ, I turn to you.
Risen Lord Jesus Christ, I confess to you.
Risen Lord Jesus Christ, I believe in you.
Risen Lord Jesus Christ, I follow you.

No comments: